always a catholic schoolboy... (dedicated to drowning wisdom in verbiage)

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

News from the Pool: Tommy's Surprise



"Tommm-meeee, I have a surprise for yooooou," she called from the shallow end of the pool. The little girl beckoned to the boy who clung to his floatation noodle near the perimeter. It was a slow day and the only poolsitters were me, the two young children, and Tommy's mommy.

I was reading Anna Karenina and thinking (once more) that I'd been born to the wrong era & social class, and simultaneously eavesdropping on the conversation of the children. She was what I assumed to be first generation Chinese-American, and he was first generation Russian-American. They were discussing Chinese dragons and whether or not they were scary. But it's this image that stays with me: the querrulous little boy, frustrated that his friend is the better swimmer, his mother listening but holding back, and the little girl, who holds a ball underwater, is calling to him. By sheer kind inventiveness she offers him delights.


Another memory: swimming lessons, pre-1990. Amber Wanner is a popular tomboy in my grade and the only kid I know at the Worthington pool. I am sent to join the advanced class and the instructor has me swim further out to him in deep water than I ever have before. I'm fine on the way out, but it looks too far on my return and I panic and flounder. Amber, hanging on to the pool's edge, reaches for my hand and pulls me in. I have been saved.

These are my feminine ideals. These are the images that sustain me in rough water. Maybe they are real, or maybe of my own making, but these bring me peace where otherwise I might not find it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. I wonder if you feel protected and invited to enjoy life by women? If that is the case, might it suggest to you that safety and pleasure require a woman in your life? Interesting thought.

The mind is a powerful, mysterious tool that often works without our external knowledge.

I have a friend who believed he could only be a success with a woman at his side. He couldn't overcome the thought, no matter how many talks we had about it. After his divorce, his business failed. He let everything go and ran up huge debts. Once he married, success came as easily as the crash had come post-divorce.

Knowing that we can control our minds, once we know how, gives great hope to those of us who keep making the same mistakes.

3:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home