always a catholic schoolboy... (dedicated to drowning wisdom in verbiage)

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The Lifeguard

I made mention of my family to a new friend the other day. I quipped, "It's not always easy to tell in my family who is drowning and who is swimming to the rescue."

This seemed immediately foolish and self-pitying. Later it seemed wise. Now I think it was just a very true moment, whatever judgment passed upon it. Thank you Ralph Waldo Emerson...

"To be a sympathetic person is like being a swimmer amongst drowning men."

4 Comments:

Blogger Alison Stine said...

Keep floating, Chris.

12:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, chris: i got the IR internship for the spring of 06. thanks for all your help and support. hope you're well. take care. xo.

6:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

chriiiiiiiiis----

i dont know if you got my email-- but i'm publishing my own literary mag as the final project for bob bledsoe's class. i'd be pleased as pie to have it graced with some of your works. of course anything you send me is still entirely yours, i'm not selling it. but i'm still very passionate about the project and want it to be a great book. i've got mary speaker and (hopefully) the IR editors on board...along with alice and lots of others. it's taking shape to be REALLY cool... all i need now is the million dollar man and i'll be cookin.

please, thank you, and best wishes;

andrew

4:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Chris-
You seem like a really swell and insightful guy. I bet you have a super-great girlfriend. You should update this blog more frequently.

4:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home